Reporting to the Director of Safety and Outreach, the primary responsibility of the Recruitment, Training and Volunteer Coordinator (RTVC) is to attract, screen, and assist in the selection process of all Safety and Outreach staff and volunteers. This position is responsible for the implementation and continued development of the Downtown BIZ training program, assisting in the personal and professional development of its staff as well as volunteers to paid positions within the organization.
- Implement and assist in the continued development of the Safety and Outreach training program which includes (not limited to):
- First Aid/CPR/AED, Workplace Health & Safety, Cultural Awareness, Mental Health First Aid, Suicide Prevention, Non-Violent Crisis Intervention, Report Writing and Note Taking, etc.
- Assist with the scheduling and time management of safety department employees and volunteers
- Conduct research on and coordinate delivery of external training. Collaborate with training providers, including Universities and Colleges, to develop and deliver current training
- Work closely with supervisors to determine employee training needs and to keep supervisors informed of training progression and certification requirements
- Train staff to work effectively and cooperatively with volunteers
- Orient volunteers to increase their understanding of the organization, its clients, its services and the role and responsibilities of volunteers
- Ensure that volunteers are given appropriate training to be successful in their positions
Recruitment and Volunteer Coordination
- Develop and implement goals and objectives for the volunteer program which reflect the mission of the organization
- Assess the need for volunteers to enhance program/service delivery
- Provide support utilizing a volunteer database to schedule volunteers and maintain monthly statistical reports
- Develop and maintain a budget for the volunteer program activities
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of the programs and services delivered by volunteers and develop and implement improvements as necessary
- Re-develop the volunteer program/services
- Develop, administer, and review policies and procedures which guide the volunteer programs and services, and reflect the overall values of the organization
- Develop and administer forms and records to document the volunteer activities
- Identify volunteer assignments that provide meaningful work for volunteers and write the volunteer position descriptions in consultation with staff as appropriate
- Promote the volunteer program to gain community support of the volunteer program and the organization
- Develop and implement effective strategies to recruit the right volunteers with the right skills and implement an intake and interview protocol for potential volunteers to ensure the best match between the skills, qualification, and interests of the volunteers and the needs of the organization
- Implement a screening process for potential volunteers according to accepted screening standards and practices
- Ensure that volunteer check-in procedures are followed and records of volunteer hours are maintained according to established procedures
- Ensure that volunteers receive the appropriate level of supervision
- Assist with conflict resolution among clients, staff and volunteers according to established procedures
- Establish and implement a process for evaluating the contribution of individual volunteers
- Plan and implement formal and informal volunteer recognition activities to recognize the contribution of volunteers to the organization
- Evaluate the risks associated with each volunteer position and take appropriate action to control the risks associated with the program or services
- Ensure that volunteers work in a safe, healthy, and supportive environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations
- Evaluate the contribution of each volunteer on an annual basis
- Prepare an annual report on the contribution of the volunteer program to the organization
- Administer and monitor expenditures for the volunteer program against the approved budget
The incumbent of this position also should demonstrate competence in all of the following:
- Behave ethically and with intergrity: Understand ethical behaviour and business practices, and ensure that own behaviour and the behaviour of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Build relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Exhibit creativity/innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
- Focus on client needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Make decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
The Recruitment, Training and Volunteer Coordinator (RTVC) works in an office environment, however monitoring the activities of volunteers may sometimes take them into non-standard workplaces.
THE RTV Coordinator may be required to work some evenings and weekends.
Your education and experience includes:
- Minimum two years post-secondary education in a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience in social sciences, human resources, community development, or adult education is an asset
- Prior related work experience including volunteer recruitment and coordination
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization, external contacts and the public, in accordance with the Respectful Workplace Standard
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, both oral and written
- Group presentation and facilitation experience with strong team building and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability using Microsoft Office including database management
- Must have strong organizational and planning skills, able to plan, prioritize, and coordinate work and resources with a high degree of independence
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of adult education and human resources development, including skills assessment
- College certificate in Volunteer Management is an asset
- Certification from the Canadian Administrators of Volunteer Resources or the equivalent provincial association is an asset
- Membership in CAVR or the equivalent provincial association is an asset
- Knowledge of current trends, resources and information related to volunteerism
Conditions of employment:
- Must have and maintain a valid Manitoba Class 5 Driver’s License
- Must be able to work flexible hours as required to be available for staff members working shift work
- A Criminal Record Check satisfactory to the employer will be required from the successful candidate, at their expense
- The successful applicant may be required to provide a vehicle for transportation while on Downtown BIZ business, subject to the terms and conditions of the Downtown BIZ’ Transportation Policy
- Applicants must include a transcript of the post-secondary education courses with their application.
If this sounds like you, please submit a cover letter and resume along with your proof of education and transcripts all as one PDF file attachment with the position title in the email subject line to email@example.com by March 8, 2017.